<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, March 05, 2004

National Pastime Day 

Tyler at Athletics Nation has come up with an interesting idea. Lets make Opening Day in baseball a National Holiday. He has called it National Pastime Day. Unlikely to ever happen, and I'm sure that their are lots of better causes to get behind, but what the hey, the baseball fan in me loves the idea. A day dedicated to kicking off Spring in full force, watching baseball with your kids, and besides, I like the speech that Tyler gave Bush to give...

"My fellow Americans, there has been one steady, relentlessly binding fabric to our nation. One element that has held us strong and brought us joy through good times and bad. It unites us in our differences and brings us together. Its wondrous history gave rise to the majesty of Ruth, the tragic yet heart-wrenching words of Gehrig and the still amazing resiliency of Mr. Jackie Robinson. One day a year I propose that we stop and reflect on all the moments of baseball history that have brought father and son, mother and daughter and generations together. This is a day when I encourage parents to go out in their yard or local park and throw the ball around and remember the glory and joy that is our National Pastime. I give you, National Pastime Day."
Don't know how practically this would work, but damn it, I'm a baseball fan, I don't care about practicality! Write your Congressman, and lets all get a day off in 2005 so we can go to the ballpark!

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?